Archive for the ‘SharePoint’ Category

Filing this one away for future reference.  I noticed my SharePoint application search functionality wasn’t working properly when running a full crawl.  Naturally the solution was an obscure registry entry.  http://sharepoint-live-authentication.shetabtech.com/documents/windows-server/how-to-enable-sharepoint-2010-search-in-sharepoint-web-application-with-claims-based-authentication

Customizing SharePoint 2010 sites

Posted: 9th October 2012 by Seth Killey in SharePoint

There are plenty of websites out there that more succinctly describe how you can customize a SharePoint site, but I figured I’d jot down some notes on stuff I found helpful. This post does a nice job of explaining why the default (no theme) that comes standard on SP 2010 is superior to some of […]

So I noticed one my SharePoint database files had grown to 15 GB recently.  I found this strange because we’ve only got about 100 users and I couldn’t conceive how a user profile database could possibly be this big.  Upon further inspection, when looking at the tables within the sync database I found the InstanceData […]

Event ID: 6398 SharePoint 2010

Posted: 12th August 2011 by Seth Killey in SharePoint

Yet another error that cropped up for me after SP1. The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPSqmTimerJobDefinition (ID <guid>) threw an exception. More information is included below. Data is Null. This method or property cannot be called on Null values. Refer to this article http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010general/thread/3ffb28a6-430a-4f71-9bf4-6198a10eeb57/.  Like the person who posted, this error was triggered for […]

Event 5586 after applying SP1 to SharePoint 2010

Posted: 12th August 2011 by Seth Killey in SharePoint

Some more carnage from the SP1 update.  You may get the following: Unknown SQL Exception 2812 occurred. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below. Could not find stored procedure ‘proc_UpdateStatisticsNVP’. The reason for this is there is a stored procedure called proc_UpdateStatistics which references proc_UpdateStatisticsNVP, however SP1 fails to create the later stored […]

SharePoint 2010 SP1 installed. Really? No, not really…

Posted: 10th August 2011 by Seth Killey in SharePoint

Last weekend I installed service pack 1 for SharePoint 2010.  Everything seemed to go as planned.  My intranet website pulled up just fine so I slowly backed away from my computer with a sense of relief.  Of course this is SharePoint so naturally everything didn’t really go as planned.  I was doing my daily event […]

SharePoint 2010 Event ID 5555

Posted: 24th March 2011 by Seth Killey in SharePoint

One of the errors I got after upgrading to SharePoint 2010 that I couldn’t shake until recently. Failure trying to synch web application <guid>, ContentDB <guid> Exception message was Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileApplicationNotAvailableException: No User Profile Application available to service the request. Contact your farm administrator. at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_ApplicationProperties() at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.get_PerfmonInstanceHandle() at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.ContentDBSynchronizer..ctor(ELogType logType, SPContentDatabase cdb, SPJobState jobState) at […]

Extending Web Application using Claims Based Authentication

Posted: 17th November 2010 by Seth Killey in SharePoint

Without a doubt, the biggest challenge I had with the upgrade to SharePoint 2010 was getting our extranet up and running using claims based authentication.  In SharePoint 2007 you could extend a web application and use forms based authentication for an extranet using Windows classic authentication (which worked beautifully with little headache).  In SharePoint 2010, […]